Thursday, July 28, 2011

Just say NO!

I'm not sure if you remember this, but back in the 80's they had this great anti-drug campaign that was Just say No!  I distinctly remember a commercial jingle that had the lyrics, "Just say No, No a right to say no!"  


In a normal retail setting you don't have the right to say no to a customer.  You yes them to death so you make sure you retain their loyalty and patronage.  Liquidation is a totally different story...


Some examples...


Customer-"Can you look up (insert random obscure title here)?"
Me-"No I'm sorry we don't have any computers to look things up?"


Customer-"I'd like to return this item, you see it's ripped on the corner."
Me-"I'm sorry there are no returns at all, all sales are final."


Customer-"I need to return this, I purchased it before your liquidation and I already had it."
Me-"I'm sorry but since we are now owned by a liquidating company I can't authorize returns."


Customer-"Wow this book is damaged I want a bigger discount."
Me-"No I'm sorry I can only give the discount authorized."


It goes on and on.  I think my staff and I feel a bit empowered by this new found sense that we can say NO and not be in fear of someone overruling our decision.



2 comments:

  1. It really is nice to be able to say no to all those annoying customers we've always wanted to say it too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The worst was this woman that complained about us not having computers. She said we'd be able to sell our stock faster. I looked at her and said "Yes and then we will all be unemployed faster, THANKS!"

    ReplyDelete